In 1850 Jonathan Kirkbride and his wife, Elizabeth, renovated what is now known as the Conde-Charlotte Museum, the site of Mobile’s first jail built 30 years earlier. Kirkbride remodeled the prison, adding the front portico, balcony and columns, adding an extension in the back, and even re-using cell doors in rooms in the rear of the estate. A portion of the jail floor can be seen in the house today.
The variety and authenticity of the furnishings and antiques reflect Mobile’s history under five flags: French, English, Spanish, American and Confederate. Rooms include two confederate parlors, an American Federal dining room, a British Commandant’s room, a French sitting room and bedroom, and two American bedrooms. A walled Spanish garden of the late 18th century design and a kitchen filled with late 19th and early 20th century equipment complement the house.
The Conde-Charlotte Museum is owned, preserved and operated by the National Society of the Colonial Dames.